CrossFit Thao Dien is looking for a new full-time coach!
Apply by 22nd May for start in July 2020. Also accept ongoing speculative applications for future start dates.
CrossFit Thao Dien is an affiliate in Ho Chi Minh City (‘Saigon’), Vietnam. Open since October 2017, we have strong year-on-year growth and a packed schedule of over 40 classes per week.
Our ambition is to be a community-hub in a vibrant and desirable neighbourhood. Our unique selling point, or niche, in the local market, is that we are like joining a team not just a gym. We offer a high quality workout, led by qualified and experienced coaches, that is proven to be highly effective in building fitness. In addition we focus on clients having fun, and create opportunities for clients from all over the world to meet, share stories and sweat, supporting each other to learn about and love the city and country. Our members are typically ‘inexperienced’ with respect to CrossFit. They currently come from all over the world: Europe, the Americas, southern-hemisphere, across Asia and of course Vietnam.
CrossFit Thao Dien is owned and managed by a British and Polish team and their respective wife and husband, who all work towards running the business alongside other jobs and being parents. The team includes one full-time head coach, one full time gym and client manager, and several other part-time coaches (including owners).
Thao Dien is a desirable but young and casual neighbourhood that is home to many international schools and spacious property owned by the local wealthy. As a result it has attracted an influx of restaurants and bars, investment in property, and expats from all over Asia and the world. It is a short 15-30 minute drive into the centre of town.
About the role
We are currently looking for a full-time coach (female or male) to add to our coaching staff from the end of May 2020. The role is primarily focused on coaching group classes, but will also include some 1-1 sessions as part of our ‘1-1 intro series’ for newcomers. There is also the opportunity to expand and develop additional products and services such as speciality workshops (we host 2 per month), speciality classes (kids, mobility, etc.) and more. We also expect that the coach will have the opportunity to develop personal training clients (because we currently have no or reduced capacity among current staff to deliver the demand we have).
- You will have a CrossFit Level 1 certificate experience working in a CrossFit affiliate full-time for about two years, with over 1500 class coaching hours under your belt.
- You will be motivated by personal and professional development, continually expanding your knowledge and qualifications, and ideally have CrossFit Level 2 or other industry qualifications.
- You have an interest to explore the world, experience new cultures, get out of your comfort zones.
- You are personable and open-minded, tolerant of different cultures and nationalities, as our diverse members will be of yours.
- You are committed to the ethos of CrossFit, of creating an accessible and welcoming environment for anyone who wants to take part.
- You are comfortable and confident instructing a wide range of ability groups, from total beginners who don’t know what the pvc pipe is, to experienced and discerning CrossFitters looking to ‘smash the open’
- You are interested to contribute to the team, learn from and teach others, on issues from coaching, to business development and marketing strategies.
- You will have good enough English to communicate well with staff and clients, but you will also know that actions speak a thousand words 🙂
- You might have a particular interest in one or more of the following areas and can help us deliver and develop these additional products:
- CrossFit Kids
- Mobility, rehabilitation, pre-habilitation.
- Women, mothers and pre/post-natal
Responsibilities of the role
- The primary responsibility of the employee is to deliver high-quality group classes following CrossFit methodology and in-line with the ethos of the business. This requires adequate preparation time and participation in bi-weekly coaching coordination meetings. Estimated 10-15 classes per week.
- The coach will also be responsible for:
- Delivering some of our 1:1 intro sessions - a series of 3 private classes covering foundations (and especially the barbell) that our new members undertake. Estimated 2-3 sessions per week.
- Contributing to our series of speciality workshops - small group classes on more advanced technique. Estimated 1 per month.
- Total hours per week will vary based on rota, staff holidays, and business needs. But we expect at least 60 hours per month coaching. Exact hours per week and the rota each week will vary and be agreed in collaboration with the employee, however we make conscious efforts to arrange rota in an employee-friendly manner.
- We also expect to make a conscious effort to support this coach to develop some personal training clients and develop additional income this way. Our current coaching staff has very limited capacity to meet the existing and potential demand from our clients.
As CrossFit coach, the employee is also expected to contribute towards:
- Daily gym management. The management team and our gym manager lead on these. However the employee will be expected to be able to manage standard small issues should the need arise, from taking payments to opening up and locking up the gym as described in the staff ‘operations manual’ which is provided to all coaches. The coach will need to develop some familiarity with our booking and client management software, and ideally investigate its use from the clients perspective too.
- Building client base. All coaching staff are expected to directly and indirectly grow the membership base, leading to growth of the business, our services and opportunities for our staff. This is both direct, through interaction with prospective clients, and indirect, by delivering high-quality classes to all, building our reputation and demonstrating the values and ethics of our business and the CrossFit community.
- Professional development. It is expected that the employee participates enthusiastically in professional development of themselves and other staff, through: self-reflection and quarterly 1:1 meetings with head coach and business owners; shadowing others and peer-to-peer review using the system established within the business; studying, training and sharing material with other coaches.
- Creating a positive atmosphere. The employee will be expected, through their behaviour and personal conduct in the gym, to create a friendly, supportive, inclusive, and welcoming atmosphere for all our clients and staff. The gym hosts frequent social events creating an opportunity to further engage and connect with the members.
What we offer
- The opportunity to live, work and play in vibrant Ho Chi Minh City, and explore Vietnam.
- The opportunity to develop a coaching career by working in a business highly committed to supporting professional development through individual and group activities and a supportive management team looking to find ways to help all staff grow and develop in their role.
- The opportunity to expand horizons by working with a different clientele and customer base to those of different countries and more established CrossFit communities.
- A salary or hourly payment that provides for a good standard of living in Vietnam. Coaches will be paid per class (range $19-$22 per hour depending on experience) with the opportunity to earn about double this for PTs.
- Additional support provided towards:
- Process and partial costs of visas (initially a 3 month business visa is expected, with longer-term ones to be discussed in future.)
- Finding accommodation and settling in a new city.
- Following satisfactory completion of the first 3 months employment, the coach will be offered our employee bonus scheme, which is based on business performance. As a guide in recent months this is worth an extra $3+ per class.
The preferred start date is July 2020.
NB. we recognise there is a great deal of uncertainty regarding international travel restrictions due to coronavirus. Vietnam’s rapid and thorough response to the virus has made it one of the safest places in the world - if you can get here. Business is thriving, but borders are currently closed. We will monitor the changing regulations and situation in due course to assess how this impacts ability to travel to Vietnam.
Send THREE items by email to [email protected] by 22nd May. A) Your CV detailing relevant experience. B) A covering letter explaining your motivations and how you will contribute to our business. C) TWO videos, in order to see your personality and style. One coaching the snatch, and one the push press. Please keep the videos to under 3 minutes each. You can send them to us in several ways - youtube links, google drive, dropbox, wetransfer etc. Please choose a format that works for you.