Principle 1: Enjoy the Process
- You deserve to enjoy what you do. In this case, we’re talking about coaching fitness.
- Becoming a world class coach is not a destination. There is always more to learn. This mindset to appreciate continual growth necessitates you taking enjoyment in the development of your craft. If not, you’ll forever chase an imaginary finish line…and be miserable when you realize it does not exist.
- When you enjoy what you do, you are confident in what you do. This makes for a more effective coach. It means clients get the results they’re after and stick around longer.
- There are three things you need in order to enjoy the process of what you are working towards: focus, effort, and time.
- If you are missing one of these, you will either move in the wrong direction (you lack focus), move nowhere (you lack effort), or give up altogether (you didn’t give enough time).
Let’s break the three down:
Effort is the actions you must take to get where you want to go.
Time is how long you put forth that effort.
In order to enjoy the process, you need all three.
We do this by continually educating in two distinct ways: DEPTH AND BREADTH
Principle 2: Learn, Design, Deliver, Refine
Principle 3: Sleep, Eat, Move, and Manage
Principle 4: Empower Through Education
Principle 5: Simplified and Principled
This is the realization that seemingly unrelated things are not only related, but they are also dependent on one another. They inform and influence each other in a way that must be appreciated even if not fully understood.
The building of a world class coach comes from a structure that forgoes unnecessary complexity for a principled approach. That beginning development must look like that of a pyramid first: